Saturday, January 24, 2009

kudos to Bob and Jillian

Okay, a shout out to The Biggest Loser.... again. I am obsessed with that show. There are so many good things that come out of seeing people transform their lives. This season is SO much better then the last. Everyone gets along and is positive. It's great to watch. So, why did I pick the title of my blog?

A few weeks ago, Bob was struggling to get someone on his team to run for 30 seconds on the treadmill without stopping. He was so frustrated because everytime she got 10 seconds away she would stop. I've never seen Bob lose it like he did. Of course, Jillian and her team were watching. The woman eventually did it but Jillian made a comment that just stuck with me. She said the woman didn't believe in her mind that she could do it, so she couldn't. The next day on her weekly show recap she quesioned "What is your mind telling you that you can't do?"

I've really been thinking about how our minds are so powerful. What am I not doing because I think in my mind I can't? Relating to running- do I just think I can't run faster because I'm afraid to- or my mind is telling me I can't? I'm challenged to try to work past this. I've had a few hard workouts this week and everytime I'm tempted to stop because I think it's getting too hard; I fight my thoughts. It's really worked so far and I'm excited to see what happens. I've always known the mind is a powerful thing and that so many athletes use sports psychologists and I'm starting to understand the mind/performance connection a little better.

No comments: