Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fear/Doubt

What a difference a week (or so) makes. In my last post I was flying high from my successful speed workout. I wish I was still in that place. Right now I'd have to admit I'm full of fear and self-doubt. What has happened since then? a lot and a little.

I'm having issues with my calves again. It was manageable and I was stretching them regularly. I went to get new shoes last week and decided to ask if I should consider a new brand. I've been thinking about this for a while. It just doesn't make sense that all of a sudden the shoes aren't working for me. I've worn the same brand for over 6 years. I talked to the owner for a long time and he gave me two different shoes to try out- a more stabil pair and a cushoning pair. I learned right away the cushoning pair is not what I need- and really hurt my legs in the process. The stability pair was great- except that something about them makes my toes rub together. By the end of my 4.5 mile run my toes were bleeding. So... I'm back at where I started. Do I get new shoes or just stick with my old brand?? I'm going back in on Tuesday to make that decision. I wouldn't be so stressed, but my half marathon is 4 weeks from today. I don't want to be messing with my legs when I'm staring down 10 and 11 mile long runs on the weekends.

Speaking of long runs- I'm very much doubting my goal of running an 8:40 pace for my half marathon. I'm averaging about a 9:40 pace on my long runs. I'm not exactly killing myself and I'm running a very hilly course, but I can't imagine running that much faster. I've got to try really hard not to let my mind control my body here. I don't want to psych myself out of it before I even start! I've got 14 workouts left and I'm going to try my hardest to focus on my goal.

No comments: