Monday, February 23, 2009

5 workouts left!

I really need to post here more often. I've actually posted on my board at Sparkpeople.com, but this one is just for me. I re-read my last post and a lot has happened since then.

First- shoes. What a saga that was. I tried the second pair out again and actually did fine with them and decided to keep them. I was feeling a little pressure from my DH (not intentional on his part), because the owner of the running store spent so much time with me. I figured they'd be fine. Well, I was wrong. The first time I took them on the road for a 4 mile run I got horrible shin splints on the opposite side of my leg that I usually do. It's the same type of pain I used to have when I started running. I went back to the store (on the owners day off- chicken!) and got the new version of my old shoes- Nike Structure Triax. I'm happy to report they are great. All shin pain is gone and I've had two long runs that went well. It sure is good to be beyone that.

I'm feeling pretty good about where I am right now. I'm really going to work on strengthing myself mentally. I've realized that's where I really struggle. I know I have my limits physically, but I feel like I don't even let myself get there because I psych myself out. I remember in field hockey we used to do this mental visualization which I thought was pretty silly at the time, but I'm going to try it now. If I can see myself finishing my race strong I know it will go a long way to getting myself to believe I can do it.

My last 5 workouts: Wed- 8 mile run- 6 miles at an 8:28 pace
Thurs- 2 miles at a 9:45 pace
Saturday- 11 miles at a 9:45 pace
Monday- 2 miles very easy
Wednesday- 5 miles- 3 at 8:30 pace
We leave for Floriday early Thursday morning and I'll probably go for a short slow run on Friday morning just to get used to the heat and stretch out my legs after a very long car ride.

No comments: