Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Open Water Swim

Last weekend my family went camping at Sherando Lake. My girls love to swim so we knew we'd be spending time at the lake. I thought I'd bring my suit and goggles in case I wanted to try an open water swim.

Friday afternoon I did just that. At least, I think it might have passed for a form of swimming. Now, I've read that if you're planning on doing a triathlon with an open water swim it's imperative to try it beforehand because it's much different than swimming in a pool. I understood that in my mind but really thought it couldn't be that much different. I also assumed I wouldn't have any open water JAWS type issues. I swam in a lake every summer at camp and it never bothered me. I didn't think swimming a triathlon in a lake wouldn't really effect me but thought since there was one sitting right in front of me, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I couldn't believe how hard it was. First of all, I couldn't swim straight. I sighted every 4 or so strokes but if I went any further, I was way off to the right. i was laughing to myself (and later on found out my husband was also laughing on shore) when I'd look up to see how off course I was. Then I'd have to swim back to where I was supposed to be. I didn't freak out in the water, but definitely didn't like it. I was afraid to put my feet down even when I know I could touch. My heart rate was elevated throughout the swim and I fatigued much more quickly than I thought I would. I was disappointed that after swimming what felt like forever, it was less than 20 minutes. I have no idea how far I swam but know it wasn't close to what my race will be. When I got out of the water and walked up the beach I was lightheaded and dizzy. I could barely walk, let alone run 3.4 miles!

Initially I was very discouraged. I know my swim is weak- very weak, but I didn't think it would be THAT bad. I was most concerned that I couldn't keep up freestyle and had to go to breaststroke so quickly and that I was so dizzy at the end. I was kind of down the rest of the weekend and really wondered about my ability to do this tri. I've kind of thought all along that if I had to do the race today I could. It wouldn't be pretty but I could do it. I started thinking maybe I was wrong and this is going to be much harder than I anticipated.

I've had a few days to really ponder and soul search and am feeling better. I know my swim is weak and have to realize I just started my official training. This is the first week I've swam 2x a week and I'll be doing that from here on in. I know why I was dizzy- my breathing wasn't correct and I was holding my breath instead of blowing it out underwater. I think this had huge impact. I swam for 26 minutes today and even though I had to stop a few times, I felt much better when I got out of the water.

I have a little more than 11 weeks until my race and have plenty of time to work on the swim. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to try an open water swim so I don't take it for granted on race day.

No comments: