Sunday, June 22, 2008

Playlists

This is a post I've thought about before but just haven't found the time to write.

I'm obsessed with playlists.

Hi, my name is Lisa, and I'm obsessed with playlists. It's not so much the playlist itself but finding the perfect music to match my running. I can remember as early as highschool trying to create the perfect playlist. I need slow songs at the right time and fast songs to get me going when I need it most. It's a hard thing to do. Believe me, I have tons of old tapes to prove that I've tried. I actually enjoy listening to my old efforts. They make me laugh.

I got an iPod for Christmas and it has not helped the obsession. My playlist called "Lisa Run" has 38 songs on it. That's a pretty long run. I've never listened to the whole thing on one run. Then there's my "Country Run" mix which only has 16 songs. I have a partial "Christian Run". It's not complete yet. I haven't found the perfect combo on any of them. I think it's because it doesn't exsist. When I run (or now bike on my indoor trainer), I need a different mix depending on my mood and type of workout I'm doing. There's no way I can find a mix that captures each mood. Let me say that I've been partially sucessful, so at least I'm getting somewhere.

So, I know you're thinking, "She's wasting her time. Why is she so obsessed?". The answer has two parts. Firstly, it's fun. I love to find songs that I love and put them together. Secondly, because when it works, IT REALLY WORKS! There's nothing better than running to the perfect song that helps me get through a workout.

Here are some examples from my playlists:

Your Love is Better than Life- Newsboys
Voice of Truth- Casting Crowns
I'm So Excited- Pointer Sisters (Jackie stop laughing!)
Punp It- Black Eyed Peas (lyrics aren't great)
Cotton Eyed Joe-Scatman John (there's a better version out there)
Over You- Daughtry

There's just a sample. Kevin just made an 80's mix so I know my list will soon be getting longer. I've wasted countless hours surfing websites with running mixes. They even have them on iTunes. None of them fit my criteria.

I know what I'll do... When I finally make the perfect mix, I'll sell it and make millions of dollars.

No comments: